A Rewarding CareerAside from the basic salon work, barbers can use their skills to prepare clients for fashion shows, weddings and portrait photos, and carry out a variety of other tasks associated with the profession. So is becoming a barber the right fit for you? Here’s a look at five reasons why you should consider this career path:
- Sociable: Are you a people person? Being a barber is a great way to interact with people on a daily basis. Unlike a conventional 9-5, where you sit at your desk and interact with a limited number of people each day, you’re always interacting with your clients in the barbershop. This is a great way to form friendships, build a clientele and – perhaps most importantly – have fun on the job.
- Potential: There’s a lot of room for growth as a barber. Aside from working in a salon – or owning your own – you can become talented enough to prep actors and actresses before movie scenes.
- Creativity: Being a barber is about more than just cutting hair. That’s because while some desire a haircut, others desire actual design work on their hair.
- Laid back: Being a barber doesn’t come with the same demands that a 9-5 does, allowing barbers to work in a more laid back atmosphere compared to the typical workplace.
- Job security: Everyone needs their hair cut at one time or another, so you’ll never run out of clients. In fact, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the profession is actually expected to grow 20 percent by 2018, signaling a demand for more haircutting services.