Join the Professional Barbering Program at Lu Ross Academy.
Lu Ross Academy is proud to launch the first Barbering program in Ventura County in our state-of-the-art Barber Campus. The Barbering program emphasizes the importance of hands-on training. Our floor is busy! The more you cut, the better you get. Our goal is to have all our graduates pass their State Board Exam the first time. We are proud of all our graduates and their success. The School takes you far beyond the basic State Board requirements.
- NEW for 2019 – Non-surgical hair Replacement Systems.
- Become Certified by Chris Jacobs as a hair replacement “Hair Doctor”.
- Learn in a Barber only campus.
- Learn advanced techniques and use your creativity.
- Learn with a dedicated team of Barber Instructors.
- Barbering students receive additional classes in hair color, bleaching and hair-cutting.
- Annual Lu Ross Barber Battle for students.
- The goal is to make our Barbering graduates world class professionals who can not only can do a great fade and shave but can perform services for the entire family.
- The Lu Ross Academy Barbering program is located in a newly remodeled building in downtown Ventura which is 2 blocks distance from the main campus. The address of the Barbering School is 93 South Chestnut Street, Ventura, CA 93001.
Hair Dressing – 1100 hours
Including at minimum:
65 hours in technical instruction and 240 practical operations in Hair Styling, including but not limited to:
- Hair analysis
- Pin curling
- Comb out styling of hair
- Blow drying
- Thermal styling
- Thermal tools
- Waving and curling
- Scalp care
- Hair care
40 hours of technical instruction and 105 practical operations in Perm Waves and Chemical Relaxers, including but not limited to:
- Permanent waving of the hair
- Alkaline perms
- Acid perms
- Perm wave procedures
- Perm wave techniques
- Chemical straightening of the hair
- Sodium hydroxide relaxers
- Thio relaxers
- Soft perm wave procedures
- Products and procedure
- Client protection and safety
60 hours of technical instruction and 50 practical operations in Hair Color and Bleaching, including but not limited to:
- Hair color
- Permanent, demi & semi-permanent color
- Allergy tests
- Formulating color
- Hair color techniques
- Highlighting and low lighting
- Weaving techniques
- Color correction
- Color removal
- Color neutralizing
20 hours of instruction and 80 practical operations in Hair Cutting, including but not limited to:
- Proper use of cutting tools
- Thinning shears
- Texturizing tools and techniques
- Various comb styles and their purposes
- The ergonomics of clipper cuts
- Clipper styles
- Fitting the Trimmer shape and size
- Clipper techniques on wet or dry hair
- Cleaning and disinfection of clippers
- Elevation cuts
- Basic elevation cuts
- Layer cuts
- Angles and degrees
- Safety in hair cutting
- Blood spill precautions
Shaving – 200 Hours
100 hours of technical instruction and 40 hours practical operation in Preparation and Performance, including but not limited to:
- Preparing clients for shaving
- Skin analysis
- Shaving techniques
- Facial massage
- Post facial product application
- Rolling cream massage
Health and Safety – 200 Hours
20 hours of technical instruction in Laws and Regulations, including but not limited to:
- Barbering and Cosmetology Act
- Boards Rules and Regulation
45 hours of technical instruction in Health and Safety, including but not limited to:
- Chemicals in the work place
- Material safety data sheets
- Hazardous chemicals
- Preventing injuries
- Communicable diseases
20 hours of technical instruction in Disinfection and Sanitation, including but not limited to:
- Proper disinfection procedures non electrical tools
- Proper disinfection of electrical tools
- Proper disposal of cutting blades
- Universal precautions
- Personal Safety and Protections
Disinfection will be emphasized throughout the entire training period and must be performed before use of any and all instruments or equipment.
15 hours of technical instruction in Anatomy and Physiology, including but not limited to:
- Human Anatomy
- Physiology of the skin
- Skin disorders and diseases
Students will also be educated in salon related subjects such as:
- Salon business
- Professional ethics
- Record keeping
- Basic tax information
If you would like more information on our school or more specifically our barbering program please contact us. We will be happy to provide with the latest course information and answer any questions you have.